Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Happiest and Saddest Days of my Life


      I have had a lot going on with my life since my last update back in April.  In late April I took another trip home to Pennsylvania to visit my family.  Especially my mother, as her cancer had gotten progressively worse.  I received a call in early April from my father telling me that I needed to come down and visit because he did not think that my mother would make it much longer.
     During my visit I tried to spend as much time with my mother as I possibly could.  To be honest, sometimes I could not.  My mother's appearance had dramatically changed.  The cancer had taken a toll on her.  My mother had lost so much weight, I could hardly recognize her.  I loved my trip and will be forever grateful for the week I got to spend with her.  Those are memories that I will cherish forever.
     My life changed forever on May 16, 2014 at 3:18 am EST.  My father called me to notify me that my mother had finally passed away.  The cancer had finally won after a long battle.
     Since the passing of my mother I have just been going through the motions.  To be totally honest with you, for the last 6 weeks I have felt totally numb.  I don't know what to do, what to say, or even how to react.  I miss my mother terribly and besides my wife, she is the biggest woman to have had an impact on my life.  Not a day goes by that I do not think about her, and not a day goes by that I do not tell my daughter about what her grandma was like and how much her grandma loved her.

     Three days after the death of my mother, I finally began taking classes at University of Alaska-Anchorage.  This is something that I have been looking forward to for a very long time.  After taking online classes through University of Phoenix for 3 years and receiving my Associates Degree through them, I was very excited to step back into a real classroom.  I absolutely love being back inside of a real classroom.  the moment I stepped into my classroom and saw my professor face to face I was very happy.  It is very different from online to face to face.  I love being able to meet with my teacher face to face if I need some help.  That is a big advantage over the online classes.  Although, I will always value my online classes.
     Currently I am taking two classes this summer.  In the fall I will be returning full time and taking four classes.  I know this is going to be a lot of hard work, but in the end it is definitely going to be worth it.  To be able to provide the kind of life that my family deserves will be a true blessing.  I am prepared to work my butt off to accomplish all of these goals and even more.  Also, since I have started at University of Alaska-Anchorage (http://www.uaa.alaska.edu) I have changed my major.  I am no longer majoring in Elementary Education.  After months of soul searching I have changed my major to Business Administration.  I feel this is for the best, especially with massive teacher layoffs across the nation and cuts to Education budgets everywhere.  I look forward to finally achieving my dream someday of becoming a college graduate.

No comments: